DAUGHTER

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So, what's on your mind these days?

I am thinking that within the next 14 days, we will receive our referral. Wow. Part of me believes that this is in fact, true, and part of me thinks some unforseen obstacle will arise. I am emailing our agency today to make sure all our phone numbers are up to date, and to ask them to call our cell phones first.

I have to admit that I am going to be bummed if SK gets the call before me.

I've been enjoying all your guesses as to age. I hope that Cheryl is right in her prediction that Isabella has some hair that sticks up. Our friend's daughter, Emma, had a bit of a punk rock 'do going on in her referral picture and I always thought that was the coolest thing.

Right now, we refer to Isabella lovingly as "Kung Fu Diva", because I'd rather be a martial arts mom than a soccer mom. And I want her to always be able to hold her ground (except with me, of course! OK, even with me, although I may not appreciate it at the time). So, a little spiky 'do seems just about right. Of course, this comes from a woman whose favorite comment on her teaching evaluations from last semester was "Murphy does not suffer fools gladly".

Speaking of martial arts, SK began his karate class on Monday. I must admit he looks very handsome in his gi. Oh yeah. His dojo starts lessons for children at age 3, so I am hoping she's into it. Either that, or fencing. The only must I have is that she learns to swim. Still, it would be nice if she turns out to be a combat or weapons girl. I dare to dream.

I have to hand it to SK. We've been dealing with a Very Difficult Situation (VDS) at home involving another family member. I won't go into details because it's not my story to tell, but it is a member of my family that's involved. And the VDS has basically washed away our summer because we can't have other visitors or even get-togethers at our house. We had to forgo a vist with our friend from DC, Marvin, who is the greatest visitor because his primary activity is telling SK how he is only visiting to see me and how he loves me very much. A girl can use a friend like that.

The VDS consumes a lot of my energy. Part of me resents this because these final weeks of waiting should be a time of joy for SK and me, and our impending referral is not on the family member's radar. SK has done much better with this than I would if I were in his shoes. Because of this, I've been able to hold up and try to get the VDS resolved (at least in terms of it being on our home) before we go to China.
And SK gets that even though a lot of my efforts in the VDS area are fruitless, I am doing what I need to do to be OK with me, to know that I gave it my best shot. And that's a lot to get when the VDS consumes a lot of your food and your wife's attention. In this pre-referral time, SK should get the best of me. But he doesn't. Not by a long shot.

SK and I, along with Carla, did have the pleasure of watching Cheryl and Bruce's Mya the other evening. Mya is eighteen months worth of ENERGY! It was a lot of fun...Mya loves starring in her own show. After arriving home well in time to do the bedtime routine with Mya, C&B gave us some very helpful travel tips. They also gave us A TON of clothes, from both their Mya and John & LaSalette's Emma. Unbelievable. Between these bags of clothes (all wonderfully organized by size and season, of course. Where do these people come from?), all the clothes friends and family have already given us,and the few outfits I bought eons ago, I don't think I'll need to buy any clothes for this girl. We also scored a Baby B'Air, a jumperoo, a walker, and a bottle warmer from the C&B/L&J godsends!

Wow, long post. Then again, long wait.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger SchnauzerKing said...

Editorial Comment (#1) from SK: Less than the best from the RHC still makes the SK one...very...lucky...man.

Editorial Comment (#2) from SK: Who knows, maybe karate will be needed to rectify the VDS! "Kiai!"*

*Footnote: Regarding comment #2 above, SK is a consummate professional and would never use his karate expertise (snicker, snicker) in any situation that was not warranted. Besides, anyone who can imagine SK in his gi clearly understands the humorous intent behind comment #2....that is all.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two make me snicker. I am DYING over here waiting to see Isabella's face. I can only imagine how you are feeling.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Galen said...

SK, how sweet! Ahem, the family that scapes paint together does not stay together. All hands on deck.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Thanks for your kind words about the loss of my mom. I really appreciate it.

I'm so excited for you to get your referral! Woo hoo! Did you decide on using cloth diapers or not? I decided to go for it again and I'm really enjoying it! It's crazy how much fun diapering can be. :-)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Hi I am Kristy and we are lid 4/21/06, I got your address off of another blog and put it on our blog so our friends and family can watch your journey. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that you get your referral soon. If you would like to you can put our blog address on yours , I would love to share it with everyone. God bless you and your family and your new babygirl, she will be everything you have dreamed of.
Love, Kristy

12:06 AM  
Blogger Yoli said...

You always need new clothes and tons of bows! What wrong with you woman? Pull yourself together and go shopping! That is how I delt with my wait for Sally. Now she is dressed better than I.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Brian and Darin said...

Waiting for word on your referral! Can't wait to see your (possibly illegible) post on the call, who/where she is, how old, what does she look like, etc, etc! You guys are so due! It pains me that back when you were delayed we thought it would mean a delay of maybe two months for your referral, but it ended up being so much longer than that! It's YOUR TIME!!!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home