DAUGHTER

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

We are three.

OK, so I know you all want to kill me for not posting sooner. All I can say is we've been pretty focused on the little one, and we are completely smitten. I've never been as happy about anything in my life as I am about this.

We received Bella at about 3:45 PM on Monday. The Forever Family moment came very quickly...I don't think we were at the Civil Affairs Office more than 15 minutes before we had her in our arms. All 7 families in our travel group received their babies in about a 15 minute time span. She didn't cry much at all during the actual passing of her from the SWI director's arms to mine...I think she was calm because she had no idea what was happening to her, as her caregiver was still in the room.
Her caregiver seemed very fond of FuXun, and described FuXun as active, equally happy playing with others or alone, and very fond of bright toys, especially the color red. She also said that FuXun likes to steal other children's toys! I know I shouldn't encourage such behavior, but I have to say that this made me laugh-and laugh hard. We received our disposable camera back, but not the list of questions or anything else we had included in the care package. I am grateful for the camera, and look forward to developing it soon. Our guide has also provided us with copy of her finding ad.

Bella is the smallest baby in the travel group, at 7.0 kilograms (15.43 pounds). At 9.5 months, she is on the younger side, but not the youngest (there are a few babies born later in December 2006). She has a little rash, which the doctor traveling with us said will probably go away by keeping her cool and applying a little baby lotion on the area.

The doctor mentioned that she has delicate features and looks just like me, which I took as a huge compliment. However, he also thought that I had a Southern accent! Mmm.

SK is completely in love with his little girl. It makes me fall in love with my husband all over again every time I watch them together. I've never loved him more. We made our dreams of parenthood come true together.

The first night was rough. She was overtired and would not eat. I ended up dropping some formula into her mouth with the medicine dropper because she was so tired, so overheated, and so unwilling to eat. She was crying and screaming, but with no tears, and we feared dehydration. At midnight, she turned a corner, and accepted a bottle of formula. I don't think we've ever been so relieved in our lives. She then slept, and had another few ounces at 4am.

Today has been a great day. It's as though she accepted (at least for now) that she needs to let us care for her and that we are happy to do it. In the morning, we went shopping in the city, buying some formula, diapers, and a Chinese bottle. I carried her in the Playtex Hip Hammock, which she loved and which John and LaSalette lent us (thank you!). SK and I had tried the Ergo that Sparky was kind enough to lend us, but I don't think it fits Bella and me together that well. I am eager to try it again, but for now she seems to prefer the Hip Hammock. She just chilled and slept while we went about our business. We are a sight on the streets of Chongqing City...it was unbelievable how much attention we attracted. Some of the attention was clothing police related (Bella was in a short sleeved dress and socks), but most attention was quite positive. The most touching thing was several "thumbs up" signs from elderly Chinese people.

This afternoon, we returned to the Civil Affairs Office, and had our family photo and fingerprints taken. Our family photo is actually fairly nice, which is amazing given that it was taken in about 5 seconds and the photographer had to wake Bella up for it. We received our "Red Book" certificate and a beautiful Ruyi Golden Plate as a memento for Bella of her home city. SK had Bella in the Hip Hammock all afternoon and she did well.

SK and I take turns with changing diapers and feeding (although somehow I have lucked out and gotten the two poopy diapers she's had so far. Hmmm.) I don't see her having a preference for one parent over the other yet. I hope it stays that way.

We are not sure she has shown us everything she can do, but here's what we do know. She has smiled several times. She has 4 teeth (two lower, two upper) and is teething. She could care less about stuffed animals, but loves the plastic keys, the stacking cups, the Taggies Click and Twist toy, and the link, crinkly duck toy Aunt Tina gave her for Christmas 2005. She can prop herself up, roll over on both sides, and crawl across the bed. She cannot quite sit up by herself yet. She has a very "floppy head" and is particularly fond of throwing it back and screaming...the classic arching-the-back, get-away-from-me, behavior. She has trouble with prolonged eye contact, but looks at you directly, then slyly looks away and will steal glances at you when she thinks you are not looking. She does look at me a lot when she is in the Hip Hammock. She is fascinated by my hair and the one necklace I brought with me to wear. And, she loves looking at herself in the mirror (clearly taking after SK there)! So we do a lot of holding, cuddling, and stroking while holding her in front of the mirror. It is also a surefire way to calm her when she cries or fusses, as is MOTION. The girl loves MOTION. Rock her, bounce her, walk with her...it's all good and you better not stop!

It has been a real joy having Todd here with us. He is so easy to be with, and is so interested in all things China and all things Bella. He did an amazing job video taping our Forever Family moment yesterday...hopefully we'll be able to share that soon.

For now, I should run. The bottom line...we love, love, love her and our Forever Family lifetime has begun.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm speechless and so happy for the Murphy family. Isabella is stunning and the two of you look happier than I have ever seen you. Sounds like maybe your back is getting better too? Ahhhh life is good isn't it?

7:21 AM  
Blogger Connie J said...

Oh, Glorious Day! Congratulations! Bella is absolutely beautiful, and it's obvious Mommy and Daddy are completely in love. She is a tiny little thing, unlike our Spicy Girl, but has the same delicate features. Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us.
Blessings~
Connie

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your daughter is beautiful, such a sweetie. Thank you so much for the brilliant update, I related to so much that you said and your deep and complete happiness is so clear. All that love you have carried for Isabella and now at last she is in your arms.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy for you guys. The wait was unbelievably long, but the joy when you hold her is indescribable, isn't it?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

I had a smile while reading your update. Happy for you and the SK, of course.

Thought about your red hair the moment the nanny said she liked RED. Good luck on that!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

CONGRATS...
I am so happy for all of you...
You are both finally parents and Isabella finally has her Mommy & Daddy..
I started to tear up when I seen the pictures... SHe is sooo adorable...
Glad things are getting better...
Can't wait to see more pictures..
She has the cutest little face...
Take care
Kim

9:48 AM  
Blogger Stinky Mouse said...

Bella is truly "bella" (beautiful)!
It makes me so happy to see all of you together. You look so happy! May the rest of your trip continue to go well. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and words with us.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Galen said...

Goosebumps. What a threesome! Beautiful, beautiful baby.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys look like such naturals holding your sweet daughter. Thank you for the updates and pictures. Bella is so beautiful, and doing so well...and did I hear she's described as active? lol :-)

Love, Cheryl, Bruce,& Mya

5:22 PM  
Blogger kitchu said...

I AM CRYING SO HARD I CAN BARELY READ!!!! Huge congrats.. she is SOOOOOOOO damn cute!!

9:07 PM  
Blogger RoLo said...

yeah:) Congratulations we are very happy for you.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Forever Family!
She is a gorgeous little girl. Not a bad looking "family" also! Happy for all three of you. We look forward to the day when we can finally meet Bella Murphy. Love to all and Congratulations.
Auntie Vickie

10:46 AM  
Blogger Brian and Darin said...

Congratulations!!! She's beautiful and you guys look SO happy! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home