DAUGHTER

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I was a little too smug.

On Sunday, I weighed my suitcase. I was at 35 pounds, and feeling great. All I had to add was my remaining clothes (a few shirts, underwear, few pairs of socks, a nice cardigan sweater)and my tolietries. So I did that and re-weighed my suitcase. 50 LBS!!! How did that happen?!

OK, some confessions. I refuse to bring less than one pair of panties per day. REFUSE! I know there are laundry services, etc., but there are somethings you just don't want to mess around with. Also, I am not a woman with a fancy hairdo (no hair dryers, curling irons, straightening irons, brushes, etc.), but I am a woman who is obsessive about skin care. I'll attribute that to a.) being quite fair and b.) being allergic to a lot of products. So I am pretty fussy about facial cleansers, facial moisturizers, etc.

I am pretty sure the tolietries are my downfall. SK and I agreed that we wanted our suitcases to weigh 40 pounds when we left in case our scale differs from the airport scales. We don't want to be the ones in the group that force all of us to pay an overweight baggage charge.

Out went the inflatable tub (as my friend Cheryl predicted), the nice but heavy cardigan, one travel size bottle of Listerine, a travel size bottle of facial toner, and a fourth pair of pants. I am down to 44 pounds, but do want to get to 40 pounds.

I'll be the woman in China with the bad skin that's wearing either a hoodie or a nylon pullover jacket when I am cold, even if it's a dressy occassion. But then again, this trip is not about me.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've probably already done it this way but if your tight on weight make sure you wear your heaviest clothing on the flight, so the cardigan for example if you really want it just take it on the flight and stuff it in the overhead.

If it helps any you can def get away without anything dressy. I literally don't own anything dressy and was really fretting about it ahead of time, especially when our travel group was chatting about nice outfits for the different appointments but as it turned out I never felt out of place. You just flash cute baby out in front of you and nobody notices what your wearing.

I was all about the laundry service but I do understand your knickers delimma.

We took our car seat with us so that counted as one of our bags right there. I'm not sure what it was that we didn't take with us.

I remember it was very stressful because your packing for a baby for two weeks and you've never had a baby before, how do you know what is vital!! I just kept reminding myself that as long as we had our paperwork, passports and money we were golden, everything else can be bought there if needed.

You sound like your in good shape though if the scale is saying 441bs you'll be fine.

OMG your going to China!!!!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Brian and Darin said...

Good luck! I can't really advise because I had extra "room to move" so to speak because we had Nate with us, and Reece, being over 2, had his own seat on all the flights, so the weight limit from here to China was the higher US standards, and within China, we had lots of play because of all the people we had... Regardless though, even if you go with only the clothes on your body and totally "no frills" with all the baby stuff and toiletries - all will be well! you'll be so focused on the baby that you may not even think to change your clothes! ;-)

Looking forward to all your China updates, and I hope I'll be one of the "chosen ones" to receive an invite to your private blog! :-)

8:31 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

One word: commando


I knew, eeeewwww. But, I just like typing that word.


C'mon, how much can undies wear? Unless you wear boxers.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In total agreement on the undies. No way was someone else washing them for me and the thought of hand washing them sort of skeeves me out a bit so in went 14 or so pairs (I packed a few extra in case I wanted to feel minty fresh mid day).

Have a wonderful trip. If you need anything...ANYTHING, please feel free to call day or night. It won't be long now.

9:24 AM  
Blogger mom of 3 so far said...

Wow, the countdown to China is in HOURS now, how unbelievable is that?!!!

Congrats and don't worry about what clothes to bring, NO ONE will care what you look like I SWEAR!!! (and that includes yourself after that first day with Bella, fashion, hair, skincare all goes out the window and you couldn't be happier!!!!! Trust thoes of us who have BTDT)

As someone who has BTDT the one thing I SWORE I'd do if we ever went back was bring enough skivies for the entire trip and then an extra pair or two, so pack as many as you want, you won't be sorry about that one!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
Dawn

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny's disgusting. I can't offer any more advice than the awesome ones here, you'll probably be the most prepared out of all of us! I'm setting up a Murphy Blog camp Sunday night into Monday thinking of you guys every minute. Now get yourselves over there!!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Galen said...

Happy trails, guys!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you there yet? First of many refreshes I'm sure.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, are you there, are you there? OMG, are you there???

8:06 AM  
Blogger RoLo said...

Have a wonderful trip

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear from you guys (we've been checking your blog too many times to count!)

Cheryl, Bruce, & Mya

3:48 PM  
Blogger Stinky Mouse said...

Trust in the laundry services!
The hotels all have hair dryers.
Where are you going again? Where's the map? You won't be cold when you're in Guangzhou. You actually get quite a bit of luggage - each of your checked bags, each of your full size carry ons, plus your purse, and a briefcase or camera bag. You look like idiots toting it all around, but what other people think of you is the last of your concerns on this trip. Just make sure you keep track of all your bags!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you are officially killing us, we need an update, I mean we NEED one!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we NEED one!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home