DAUGHTER

Sunday, April 02, 2006

A random day-March 21, 2006

A few weeks ago, I decided to bring my camera to work with me for the day. Don't ask me why. I did want to take pictures of some of the students in the economics internship program that I run, and I was doing site visits that day. But for some reason, I decided to photograph the whole work day randomly. So, here we go.

The drive to work. It starts off very plesantly. Right now I have the shortest commute of my life - 6 miles one way. That's right folks. My first year my commute was 72 miles one way. So, this commute is a vast improvement, and one of those little things that makes my life nicer.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Traffic starts picking up a little:

Image hosting by Photobucket

One of the reasons I will never be skinny: My Dunkin' Donuts Stop on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Coffee always, muffin sometimes.
Image hosting by Photobucket

Tell me, what Einstein came up with this cup holder design? Yep, that's right. Coffee spills directly onto the radio and CD, and into the loading slot for CDs.

Image hosting by Photobucket

On the last few miles of the commute:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

We are coming up on UMB on the right...the big brick complex that looks like a prison or mental institution. It's got a great location, but the facilities themselves, except for the new campus center, leave something to be desired.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Arrival time at work, am of course. I teach at 8:30 am, so I need some time to get my act together.

Image hosting by Photobucket

My office. Can you say environmental hazard? It's awful, I know.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Every once in a while things get wild and all the books shelves come crashing down. Fun.

One of my latest pet peeves. The board in my 11:30 environmental economics class.
My classroom for this class is a music classroom. Hello? Economics has graphs, which preferably, the students should actually be able to read. I've put in several requests for a room change, which have all been ignored. Yep, we've got flat screen TVs at UMB, but this is what I am teaching economics on. I know...you are thinking I could go to Power Point. However, I find that students really need practice in seeing how these graphs are put together, so I do them all out on the board. Thank God for colored chalk.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Downtown Boston, about 3pm. I had two internship site visits at Boston City Hall. The way the internship program works is that students work at municipal, state or non-profit organizations in exchange for course credit.

Image hosting by Photobucket

One of the site visits was at the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The man on the left is Khoi, the student. He is pictured with his supervisor.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The other site visit was at the Boston Assessing Office. The student is the man on the left, Arion. He is pictured with his supervisor, Claire.

Image hosting by Photobucket

5:15 pm or so. I took the T back to the UMB campus, and went to my car for the drive home:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Note that how much I love this car (except for the bad cup holder design) is a whole separate post.

The JFK Library happens to be on the same piece of land, Columbia Point, as UMB. Here's a picture of the library.

Image hosting by Photobucket

A very pretty sky on the way home:
Image hosting by Photobucket

The driveway, with Tim's Grand Am, one of the worst cars ever. He likes to refer to "The Power of the Am".

Image hosting by Photobucket

I ran into Tim on the sidewalk, walking out mutts:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Three Butts and the Poop Bag:
Image hosting by Photobucket

Home Sweet Home:
Image hosting by Photobucket

Arrival Time at Home:
Image hosting by Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home