DAUGHTER

Thursday, November 23, 2006

And so it has begun.

Today is Thankgiving, the first of the winter holidays that we thought we'd be spending with our daughter. I am trying to smile, even if it is a weary smile.

Life is certainly not bad. We are in Minnesota, in Tim's parents'home. Our trip here, while long, was pretty uneventful. I have no "flying on the day before Thanksgiving" horror stories to share. I got a Happy Thanksgiving kiss and hug from both my mother-in-law and my father-in-law this morning. Shortly, we will sit down to a wonderful meal with Tim's parents, his grandma, his sister and her family. This is a nice family, a funny family, a fine way to spent the day. We've been blessed in many ways.

Nonetheless, a part of me is just so bone tired. Part of me would rather be home, cuddling with the dogs, making dinner for a few close friends, and yes, getting to know my daughter...feeding her what might be her first bits of turkey and homemade cranberry sauce, getting intimate with all the joys and challenges that being a mother will bring.

I am not normally a "the glass is half-empty" kind of gal. In general, I am pretty damn appreciative of the luck I've had in my life. But this yearning for a daughter thing...it's a full time job. And I am ready to be promoted to the next level.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chani's Bow Making Mama said...

Hey Tammy
It sounds like you have a wonderful family to share in the holidays. We did just what your other part wanted to do and stayed home and enjoyed a quiet dinner with friends. Just couldn't do the full family thing with all the questions of when and why again.

Can I get that promotion too??

Kathy

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home