DAUGHTER

Monday, August 07, 2006

Goodbye old friend, you will be sadly missed.

There are many milestone events in every man's life. One of those is the excruciating task of having to give up his very first car. I'm talking about the car that he bought with his own money from his first real job. The car that was a trusty companion through thick and thin, rain, sleet, smog and fog, better or worse, good times and bad. For me, that car is my glorious 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE, or more lovingly called, 'The AM'. I can practically hear the virtual "ooohs" and "ahhhs" emanating from everyone reading this, laden with more than a hint of envy. I don't blame you, not...one...little...bit.

I'm convinced 'The AM' was one of the reasons Tammy fell in love with me. I remember the many weekend days early in our relationship we spent drivin' down the highway, lookin' for adventure. Tammy would look over at me with a certain twinkle in her eye and whisper, "I can feel the power of 'The AM'." It was then that I knew 'The AM' and I were on the right track. In fact, Tammy even has her own cute little pet name for it; she jokingly calls it 'The Timebomb'. This, of course, has nothing to do with the slight smell of gas that constantly accompanies it, rather, it is due to its explosive 4-cylinder power.

But now it is time to move on to the next stage in life, namely, parenthood. And with this new stage comes the realization that Tammy's Taylor Hicksmobile, a Subaru Forester, and 'The AM' combined just won't be able to cut it. Plain and simple, we need more cargo room. Though Tammy fought tooth and nail to keep 'The AM', I put my foot down and made the decision to sacrifice it for the greater good.

We went test driving this past weekend, my sights set on a Honda Pilot. Both Tammy and I liked it very much. But then we drove a Honda Odyssey. This is one lovely mini-van folks. The term "cavernous" barely describes the amount of space in it. I left the dealership a little downtrodden. I knew for all practical purposes that we had found our next new vehicle. But I couldn't help but to feel sad knowing that soon 'The AM' and I will have to part and go our own separate ways. I know both Tammy and I will shed more than a single tear when we have to say, "Goodbye old friend, you will be sadly missed."

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

These are the sacrifices one must make as a parent. :o)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

It dies stink to have to get rid of your car when the kids start to arrive. You will love the minivan though. We have one and don't know what we would do without it.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakespeare!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Stinky Mouse said...

I found a great review online of the "Am" which said:

"It's a perfectly adequate midsize car with enough attitude that you won't feel like you've surrendered to driving a bland family vehicle on your way to a minivan."

Looks like that trips over! Actually my father-in-law has the Odyssey, it's a great mini-van!

4:27 PM  
Blogger mom of 3 so far said...

Too funny Tim, my hubby is thinking he wants an "AM". We have done the mini-van, the SUV and now he's back to the "cool guys car". So don't worry everthing old is new again. You'll be back in a "chick magnet" again someday....of coarse it probably won't help to tell you our kids are 17, 14 & 2 years old so you might have to wait a while!!
Really driving a mini-van isn't that bad, it actually helps in city traffic everyone moves over for you thinking you are just some "dumb soccer mom" who's lost! Don't forget to put the "my kid is on the honor roll at blank school" stickers in the window that helps too!!!!!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

You left out all the juicy details about your back seat adventures....Please elaborate

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home