DAUGHTER

Monday, February 20, 2006

Some not so heavy lifting

So, recently Tim and I finally got off our butts and joined a gym...a YMCA. Yes, I am still recovering from the shock. We are excited because we got a family membership, which means we'll be able to add Bella on at no additional charge. There are two pools there and they have a water babies class, and swim lessons for kids. Tim and I have gotten, well, soft. And I figure it's now or never...staying in shape won't be easier with a little one.

On Saturday, we each had our nautilus machine orientation session. I decided to come up with a scheme to motivate both of us, and suggested that Tim and I start a competition about who can lift the greatest percentage of their total body weight. Well, Tim blatantly refused, supposedly because he was worried about my well being.
So, I basically started clucking like a chicken and picking "feathers" off him. I also threatened to call his brother, the French Irish Bulldog, and tell him that Tim had become a member of the poultry family.

After our individual orientation sessions on Saturday, one of the trainers told Tim that he was wise not to take me up on the competition. I think it's because the trainer knew I'd kick Tim's butt fair and square.

Tim is now claiming that I have an unfair advantage, being lighter and having a more compact body type (in other words, I am not tall and thin like him). He also claims he is at a disadvantage because years ago (1998-2001) I used to work out religiously, including strength training. Never mind that I haven't worked out steadily since 2004 and I've put on a gazillion pounds since he and I started dating.

So I decide to offer Tim a 25% of total body weight HANDICAP. In other words, if he lifts 50% of his body weight on a given machine, I would have to lift 76% of mine to claim I beat him. He still turned me down, and refuses to budge unless I offer him a 100% handicap. Yeah, that seems fair! Carla is a witness to this ridiculous attempt by Tim to secure his 100% handicap.

Yesterday (Monday) we went back for our 2nd strength training workout. In the past 36 hours I have had to watch Tim flex numerous times, and talk to his biceps and triceps..."How you doin?" He has also started singing James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" to his beloved (but invisible to the rest of the world) biceps and triceps.

Yes, my husband makes me laugh EVERY SINGLE DAY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home