DAUGHTER

Sunday, November 27, 2005

And now some sad news...

My grandma died on Thanksgiving Day. I didn't want to post this news with our Thanksgiving Day photos because Thanksgiving Day really was a special day, and I enjoyed our guests so much.

My mother's mom fell, and died of a brain hemmorage Thursday evening. It was unexpected, even though Grandma was 87 and her health had begun to decline. Grandma was pretty much a classy looking fox though, so in my mind, she has always seemed sort of ageless. I feel badly that I hadn't seen her very recently...I think I sort of took it for granted that she would always be around. Foolish, I know.

I am trying to be OK with this. The day my grandfather died in 1997 was HORRIBLE. I was actually in the hospital room when he died, and for weeks, I couldn't get that image out of my mind. When he died, my grandmother, his wife of nearly 60 years, said "It's his graduation day", meaning that he was going back to his maker. My mother and I had a hard time hearing that. But I know she really believed this. After that I made an effort to spend a lot of time with my grandma, and at one point she said, out of the blue, "I really miss grandpa" and began to cry. So, I like to think that they are being re-united.

Today was the wake from 2-4. Tim was there, of course. I am very glad he had a chance to meet my grandmother before her death. Carla was also there, which I think meant as much to my mom as it did to me since Carla has known my family a LONG time. Also, my brother Bobby was there, with his crass, black sense of humor that slays Tim and I. We shouldn't have been laughing at a wake, but we were.

I had a really nice surprise...my friends Cheryl and Bruce, and LaSalette and John came to the wake, and they brought Emma, their Chinese daughter with them. Emma bought some much needed smiles to the faces around her, and I got to hold her. She is so beautiful. How lucky she, LaSalette and John are to be a family. I can't help but think about how one light has gone out, and another (Emma) has just come into the world. So precious. Tim and I were happy to see that she was wearing the fleece outfit with a dog on it (of course) that we bought her for her first birthday.

My Grandma will never meet our Bella, at least not in this world. Maybe she will watch over her.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa~~ said...

I am sorry for your loss. Memories are not the same as having the person with you, but know you are blessed to have had such a wonderful relationship and now have special memories for a lifetime.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Words never really seem to be enough at times like this, but I am sorry for your loss and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Tonia said...

Tammy -

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. Please accept my deepest sympathies.

Hugs -
Tonia
http://ourfulingprincess.blogspot.com/

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home