DAUGHTER

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

For your dining pleasure.

I recently finally got around to typing up a recipe for a friend. So, I figured, why not include it here? This is one of the few vegetarian meals SchnauzerKing will tolerate (he of the motto "Bacon makes everything better"). Oh, how he covets Kikalee's sausage dish.

This recipe is from an old issue of Cooking Light magazine, which I think rocks. We stopped subscribing because at this point we've got lots of cook books and lots of old issues. I think 95% of the stuff we've made from Cooking Light recipes has been good. And this soup is VERY easy to make. And so, I present:

VEGETARIAN WEST AFRICAN SOUP

2/3 cup roasted peanuts

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 cups chopped onion

6 cups (1 inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
Personal note: I don’t bother actually cubing the sweet potato. Cutting it into small irregularly shaped pieces allows for some bits to break off and thicken the soup. This also works well for regular potatoes in traditional New England clam chowder.

1 tablespoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon black pepper
Personal note: I use a whole teaspoon. We like things a bit spicier.

¼ teaspoon salt

2 (15.5 ounce) cans chick peas (garbanzo beans), drained
Personal note: I rinse these before draining.

2 (14.5 ounce) cans vegetable broth
Personal note: I use the low-sodium stuff without any problem.

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional)

1. Place peanuts in a food processor, process until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping the sides of the bowl once.

2. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, sauté 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Personal note: I use a plain old stockpot with a cover. Although if anyone wants to buy me a Le Creuset Dutch Oven, feel free.

3. Add peanut butter, sweet potato, and next 6 ingredients (potato through tomatoes), bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size of 1.5 cups)
Calories per serving: 477 (18% from fat)

And now, I must watch AI. Those boys better have undergone some kind of major transformation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nesting For Natalie said...

I will try this tomorrow! It looks delicious and healthy.

Amy

4:22 AM  
Blogger Sparky said...

Yum! Hey, next time you come for a visit let's take a ride to the Wrentham Outlet. They have a Le Crueset store there. I got my dutch oven there cheap because it had a little scratch.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home