DAUGHTER

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Done with my Christmas Shopping

I love the Internet! Have I finished writing out my Christmas cards? No. Did I put beautiful white candles in all the windows like I wanted to do? No. But because of the power the mouse, I am done with Christmas shopping. Yahoo! (No pun intended).

Carla and I started Christmas early on Saturday. She got some flannel PJs, a couple of journals, a new Coach purse, and a big ass shadow box from us. It was the funniest thing...she picked this thing out. She sent me the webpage (Potternbarn) for it. Then when I show up at her home with this wrappped box that's as tall as I am, and say "Well, I guess you know what this is...", and she is like "I have no idea!"

Carla and I, after 20 years of buying gifts for each other, have gotten pretty pragmatic. We always surprise each other with a few gifts, but we are also not afraid to say "Hey, what do you want?". Now, our love for Coach purses...kind of a pricey love. But they are very well made and Carla and I both adore them. Shallow and indulgent, yes. However, we justify our shallowness by observing that both of our families were quite poor (at least by US standards) and we were probably the worst dressed kids in school. I exaggerate not. I'll have to dig up some photos somewhere. Also, Carla and I adore spoiling each other as much as we adore Coach purses.

Tim and I are also pretty pramatic when it comes to gifts, especially now because we have had a lot of big expenses. But I find no matter what dollar amount we set, we both always go over! He'll give me a list, and I will buy some stuff off of it, but I find I always want to surprise him. It's fun. I gave him an easy list (for example, buy this pair of boots at zappos.com with this item number in this size and color) and a harder list (a Celtic cross necklace, and a black faux Persian lamb coat, with buttons, not a zipper). I predict that I will not being getting the coat...I can't really see Tim going out in search of that. But I also predict I'll be getting a few fun surprises. Last year one of my gifts was Ms. Pac-man for my PDA. How cool is that? Hard to play on a PDA? Yes, very. But fun!

This is the first year that we are not going to Tim's hometown in Minnesota. I am a bit worried he'll be sad missing his family. But I am also looking forward to establishing some of our own traditions and routines. And I am loving having a real tree this year. On Christmas eve, we will go to an evening mass, and then Tim wants to open all our gifts (his family opens their gifts Christmas eve). On Christmas day, we will have a kind of open house, so that people can stop by as their schedules allow. We also would like to start a tradition of volunteering as a family on Christmas Day.

Back to writing out those Christmas cards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home