DAUGHTER

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Survived Another Semester

Yesterday was the last day of classes at the Univ. Yahoo!!! Let's just say some of my students I truly admire and enjoy, others not so much. So there's the final push of 80 papers and finals to grade, and then I am due for some relaxation!

Maybe I can finally get around to reading a baby care book...I've got "What to Expect the First Year" and the Dr. Sears "Baby Book". These suckers are thick! Much thicker than the dog care books I have. Yikes! And look what little monsters Indie and Buca are!

Those of you in the adoption community know that a mother was recently charged with harming her adopted Chinese daughter...Tragically, the child died.

This has gotten me thinking even more about attachment and parenting issues. I've done a fair amount of reading on adoption from China, and some on attachment.

I figured I'd save the baby care reading for now since we just got our LID...I was worried I might forget some of it if I read too much in advance. I plan to take the adopted baby care classes through the Open Door Society. I plan to wear Isabella using a MeiTai or other baby carrier as much as I can, and I am also hoping to take an infant massage class, to help promote bonding.

But are we doing enough? What can we do now except read about these issues and try to be prepared?

I've talked to a lot of my friends that are already parents. They tell me you figure it out as you go along. But the only couple I personally know well right now with a Chinese child is LaSalette and John...They just returned from China with Emma in November. Of course, we will watch and try to learn from them. But Emma is not going to be our daughter ... Our daughter could be very much like Emma or completely different.

Is it naive to think that Tim and I basically have "good heads on our shoulders" and will deal with issues as they arise?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home